Schools & Camps
Best Kids acting schools! If you have a suggestion or update for this list, contact HollywoodMomBlog (at) gmail.com with the contact name, address and telephone number. We are building lists for every state in the USA.
BEST KIDS ACTING SCHOOLS & SUMMER CAMPS:
- 3-2-1 Talent Showcase Owner/Director Mae Ross, located at 3131 Foothill Blvd. La Crescenta CA 91214 (818) 353-5455
- LActors Comedy Studio, 7461 Beverly Blvd., Ste. 202, Los Angeles, CA 90036 firstname.lastname@example.org 323-302-9152
12 students max; Private coaching available; On-Camera Technique; Acting Technique/Scene Study; All levels; Auditing is permitted; Lauren’s Hollywood Youth Division encompasses cold reading, audition technique, script analysis, character development and much more. Lauren instills confidence in all her students and understands that when a young actor begins a career in TV and Film, the whole family is involved. Lauren also teaches a foundational course for adult actors.
- Actors Space West – 22749 Ventura Blvd., Woodland Hills CA 91367 – Owner/Director Sara Wood shares her years of experience in theater and film with her students. She also raised a child star of her own (Evan Rachel Wood) and is a wealth of information for parents. 818-222-7484
- Actors Youth Academy offers English/Spanish, Film & TV acting classes for ages 5-17 and young adults ages 18 & up. Spanish language classes also. Monrovia, CA (626) 817-3050
- American Academy of Dramatic Arts Los Angeles campus and New York campus): 1336 North La Brea Avenue, Los Angeles (800) 222-2867. Summer camp application.
- Agoura Children’s Theater 818-225-1459
- AIA Actor’s Studio: 1918 W. Magnolia Blvd., Suite 206, Burbank (818) 566-1429
- ATLA – Laurie Morella – owner Actor Training In LA, 11335 Magnolia Boulevard Unit #2C, North Hollywood, CA 91601 818-505-0264
- Atlantic Acting School for Kids: (646) 216-1171
- BB’S KIDS Acting Workshop Belinda Balaski, owner Santa Monica, CA; email@example.com or 323-650-KIDS (5437); 10-16 students per class; All levels
- Beverly Hills Playhouse Young Actors & Teens Program with Emmy Award winner Melissa Hayden. 254 S Robertson Blvd., Beverly Hills, 90211 (310) 855-1556. Hayden also works as a private coach.
- Bobby Gene’s Actors Clubhouse 6472 Santa Monica Blvd., Ste. 210, Los Angeles, CA 90038; firstname.lastname@example.org; 323-463-8655
- Cal Shakes, California Shakespeare Theater: For more info about this Northern California day camp contact Jenna Stich, Artistic Learning Coordinator, at 510.809.3293 or email@example.com Zendaya Coleman (Shake It Up!) attends camp here.
- Carter Thor Studio at “ON THE MARK” Young Actor Class, 12417 Ventura Ct. Studio City, CA 91604; firstname.lastname@example.org 818-760-9426
- Center Stage Workshop online at www.centerstageworkshop.com. Located at at The Whitefire Theatre in Sherman Oaks, CA.
- Children’s Civic Light Opera (CCLO), 10858 Culver Blvd., Culver City , the Westside’s premier performing arts program for youth 8-18 since 1987! All skill levels embraced! Email: CCLO@verizon.net (310) 478 – 5886
- Community Musical Theatre Day Camp: 11301 Bellagio Rd., Los Angeles (323) 954-7250
- Chubbuck Youth world renown program for the serious professional child actor – 7201 Melrose Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90046 – Contact email@example.com or call (323) 510-7201 ivanachubbuckyouth.com | ivanachubbuck.com
- Cynthia Bain’s Young Actor Studio, 12265 Ventura Blvd. Suite 210 Studio City, CA 91604 Phone: 818-760-0060
- Dance Dimensions Musical Theater Camp: Promenade Mall, 6100 Topanga Cyn Blvd., Woodland Hills, 91367, (818) 999-3262
- Diane Christiansen Coaching: Professional coaching for young actors, North Hollywood CA email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Discovery Onstage Summer Acting Camp: Centre Stage Dance Academy, 127 East Olive Ave., Monrovia, CA 91016 Phone: 626.357.8308
- Electric Youth Triple Threat Camp Owner/Director: Debra Gibson. Teachers: Howard Fine, Susan Leslie, Bill Purnell. July 5th through July 16, 2010, attend for 1 week or both. Hollywood, CA
- ♥Elizabeth Bauman Monologue Workshop & Private Coach for professional child actors, Larchmont Village, (323) 385-5237
- The Groundlings Improve Teen Classes: 7307 Melrose Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90046-7512, (323) 934-4747 ext 60
- Hallie Todd Studios – 13636 Ventura Blvd #298, Sherman Oaks, California 91423 818-789-3760
- Harriet Greenspan (casting director) 818-266-6698 All levels; Once per month
- International City Theatre: Bixby Park, 130 Cherry Avenue, Long Beach (562) 436-4610
- Improv Comedy for Kids at Westside Comedy Theater, 1323-A 3rd Street Promenade, Santa Monica, CA (310) 451-0850 Kids ages 9-12
- The John Sudol Studio 11650 Riverside Drive, Suite 11, North Hollywood, Los Angeles; 818-505-1223
- Joy Theatre– JOSH and JANIECE JARY MINNICK, located at The Raven Playhouse 5233 Lankershim Blvd., North Hollywood, CA 91601 email@example.com 818-505-9355
15 students max; All levels; Auditing permitted; Work study/internship program available. Specialities: All things comedy, sketch, standup, characters, improv etc. A fun way for kids of all levels to get up on stage and build confidence for the future. Our encouraging style of teaching is designed to nurture the creative side using the tools of comedy.
- Kids Muse Art Camp, UCLA’s Fowler Museum, Sunset Boulevard at Westwood Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90095 (310) 825-4361
- KIDS ON CAMERA, Phil De Champlain, 12215 Ventura Blvd., Suite 111, Studio City, CA 91604 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org 818-500-0037. 10-14 students per class; All levels; One time free audit; Ongoing; Internship available with film school. Classes focus on on-camera auditioning, cold reading, improvisation, and film and TV scene study, helping students discover what makes them unique inside. Other: On-Camera Technique; Audition Technique/Cold Reading; Improv and Comedy; Acting Technique/Scene Study.
- ♥Kids on Stage: Santa Monica, Culver City, Mar Vista (310) 314-0035 Perfect introduction to imaginary play for very young kids and beginners 3 to 6 years.
- LAGUNA PLAYHOUSE – YOUTH THEATRE with Donna Inglima email@example.com 949-497-2787, ext. 202, Fax: 949-497-328710-14 students per class; Beginner, intermediate, and advanced; Auditing not permitted; 1-year audition based conservatory, ongoing non-audition workshop classes, and summer theater workshops; Unpaid intern/work study opportunities occasionally exist. Offers a variety of acting and creative drama classes ongoing for youths ages 6-18. Classes are taught by theater professionals after school and in weekend workshops.
- LARRYMORE-KELLY PERFORMING ARTS ACADEMY, Warner Center Towers, 21550 Oxnard St., Ste. 300, Woodland Hills, CA 91367 firstname.lastname@example.org 818-723-4699 (All levels.) Critically acclaimed actress Rae’Ven Larrymore-Kelly iand her mother, manager and acting coach Phyllis Larrymore-Kelly, are founders. Provide youth a solid foundation in the performing arts through a cathartic and nurturing educational process. The academy offers instruction in scene study, improvisation, and audition technique, among other subjects, for both kids (4-12) and teens (13-18).
- ♥Lee Strasberg Theatre & Film Institute Young Actors is an intensive/diverse program for young actors ages 7 to 18 years. 7936 Santa Monica Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90046; 323.650.7777; email@example.com Alumni: Angelina Jolie, Matt Damon and Scarlett Johansson are former students.
- Los Angeles Shakespeare Company: 1909 N. Topanga Canyon Blvd., Topanga (310) 455-9400
- Marcie Smolin’s “The Actors Circle” 4475 Sepulveda Blvd. Culver City, CA 90230 (310) 837-4536. Marcie was a stand-up comic for 13 years appearing on An Evening at the Improv, Girls Night Out, Later NBC as well as a primetimeNBC comedy Special. Email: Marcie@theactorscircle.com
- Margie Haber Studio 971 N La Cienega Blvd, Ste 207, Los Angeles, CA 90069 (310) 854-0870 www.margiehaber.com
- ♥Marnie Cooper School of Acting, 12801 Bloomfield Street Studio City, CA 91604 (818) 760-8009
- Musical Theater Los Angeles, (formerly SKTC) Amanda Baird, 310-428-4021, various L.A. locations offering in school and after-school programs. Summer Camp to be held at St. Albans Episcopal Church.
- Music Rhapsody: 1603 Aviation Blvd., Redondo Beach (310) 376-8646
- NEW YORK FILM ACADEMY – Summer Camp for ages 10-18 years worldwide. Call NYC: 212-674-4300 or Los Angeles: 818-733-4074
- ORANGE COUNTY PROFESSIONAL ACTORS’ WORKSHOP WITH ELIZABETH KENT firstname.lastname@example.org, 949-675-3272. Classes hold 10 students max; Private coaching available; All levels; Ongoing. Kent has more than 18 years experience as an acting coach for film, TV and theater. Her students have found professional representation through her coaching in Los Angeles.
- Orange County Screen Actor’s Academy: 2834 S. Fairview St., Santa Ana, CA. 92704 (310) 427-5674 Specializes in getting kids on film.
- ORANGE COUNTY SONG & DANCE CO. 5860 Westminster Blvd., Westminster, CA 92683; Email: email@example.com Website: www.orangecountysonganddance.
714-897-4475, OCSD offers acting for the camera, addressing script reading, camera presence, cold reading, and audition techniques. Character analysis and portrayal will be presented in an on-camera environment.
Other: Acting Technique/Scene Study; Singing/Musical Theater
- Peanut Gallery Improv, Chad Costello Owner/Teacher, 3750 Foothill Blvd, Suite A East Pasadena, CA 626-453-6408 PeanutGalleryImprov.com
- Performing Arts Workshops Education: 13428 Maxella Avenue, Ste. 436, Marina Del Rey, CA 90242; Phone: (310) 827.8827
- The Actors’ Spot website: http://www.theactorsspot.com 5215 Lankershim Blvd. Studio A North Hollywood CA 91601 Alumi: Nolan Gould (Modern Family), Coy Stewart (Are We There Yet?), Michael Welch (Twilight trilogy), Megan Good (Californication), Brock Ciarelli (The Middle)
- QUIT ACTING! 5312 Radford Ave., Ste. 5, Valley Village, CA 91607 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.quitacting.com Phone: 818-437-1911
Private coaching only; All levels Laura Lasky’s ongoing monthly sessions for kids and teens are designed to help her students “find out what’s holding [them] back and quit it.” Her one-on-one classes/coaching emphasize individualized training including audition techniques and specialty workshops including “crying on cue.
- The Rage Entertainment Complex: 16911 Devonshire St., Granada Hills (818) 366-6100
- Reflections in DANCE, Owner & Admin Director: Kristen Angarano; 2 locations: 20859 Ventura Boulevard, Woodland Hills,CA 91364 (818) 999-5729
- Summer Singing Camp Ages: 6-8 years, Dates: 6/21-7/9, Ages: 9-12 years, Dates: 7/26-8/13, Tuition: $299 (for 3 weeks) www.singingkids.com Phone Number: (310) 737-9387
- THE SANTA MONICA PLAYHOUSE EDUCATION CONSERVATORY, Director: Serena Dolinsky, 1211 Fourth St., Santa Monica, CA 90401 Email: email@example.com 310-394-9779, ext. 673, 10-15 students per class; All levels; Auditing not permitted; Sessions in each season; Internship program is available. The conservator offers extensive training for actors from beginners through professionals, year-round. A variety of workshops for all ages, preschool to adult, focus on: audition technique, communication skills, musical theater, character development, movement for the stage, voice, and performance.
- Scott Rogers Studios offers a great program for professional/serious students
- Shelia Manning Workshops: Beverly Hills Casting Studios, 332 South Beverly Drive, Beverly Hills, CA 90212 Classes cover everything kids encounter in the world of commercials. Perfect for beginners and kids in the mix wanting to make the most of their audition opportunities. firstname.lastname@example.org
- SOCAPA Summer Arts Intensive for Students aged 13-19, located in LA, NYC and Vermont. 800-718-2787
- The Songwriting School of Los Angeles Director: Rob Seals. 4001 W. Magnolia Blvd.,, Burbank, CA 91505 (818) 848-SONG. Hosts monthly speakers like: entertainment attorney Ben Mclane, Eric “Blu2th” Griggs (wrote “No Air” for Jordin Sparks & Chris Brown), Tim Fagan (wrote “Lucky” with Jason Mraz & Colbie Caillat).
- Southern California Arts Program with programs in Performing Arts, Dance, Music and Visual Arts. SCAP 2013 is back this summer at Millikan Middle School & Performing Arts Magnet, 5041 Sunnyslope Avenue in Sherman Oaks CA 91423 (off Magnolia Blvd. between Fulton and Woodman).
- Stage Door Conservatory Summer Camp Programs, 909 Marina Village Parkway, #501, Alameda, CA 94501 510-521-6250. Musical Theater Camp age 7-17
- Stage Time Los Angeles: Lyric Hyperion Theater Café in Silver Lake, 2106 Hyperion Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90027 1-800-530-9524
- ♥Storms Acting Studio Karen Storms is the Coach, husband Chris Storms runs the business. A great team with a phenomenal track record, Professionals only. Sherman Oaks, CA 91423 (818) 510-2940
- Studio C Artists Weekly Acting Class For Children & Teens, Dates: Thursdays, June 17th – August 5th, 2010, 4:00– 6:00 PM located at 6448 Santa Monica Blvd., Hollywood, CA 90038 (323) 988-1175 or email@example.com
- Studio LOL (818) 660-3460, 11634 Ventura Blvd., Studio City, CA 91604 (Between Tujunga & Colfax) Email StudioLOLclasses@gmail.com
- TEEN ACTORS LAB, Los Angeles, CA Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 310-428-7055. Classes 30 students max; All levels; Auditing not permitted; Ongoing
Teen Actor’s Lab has skillfully guided hundreds of tentative, timid newcomers to become confident, technical, risk-taking artists.
- Teenage Drama Workshop at California State University Northridge : (818) 677-5811
- The Acting Studio at Edgemar 2437 Main Street, Santa Monica, CA 90405, Phone: 310.399.3666, Fax: 310.399.2898 www.edgemarcenter.org or call Alexandra Guarnieri, Managing Director at 310.399.3666 or 310-392-0815. Classes for ages 3-16 years, help to foster strong acting foundation through interactive exercises utilizing improv games, theater and scene work on and off the camera.
- TOTAL IMPROV KIDS, The Avery Schreiber Theatre, 11050 Magnolia Blvd., North Hollywood, CA 91601 Email: email@example.com. Phone: 818-481-8072. Classes: 12-14 students per class; All levels; Auditing is permitted; Ongoing; Possible work study available. Total Improv Kids uses the art of theatrical improvisation to offer children a means of tapping into and expanding their imaginations, nurturing important life skills, and allowing children to find the greatest potential in themselves and each other.
- TVI Actors Studio, Los Angeles and New York: (323) 599-1900
- US Performing Arts Camp (888) 497-3553, touts itself as “the world’s leading summer training programs for young people in the arts” with 18 locations nationwide, including:
- YOUNG ACTORS CAMP, Nichelle Rodriguez, education director, Azusa Pacific University, Los Angeles, CA Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: 909-982-8059. Classes: 10-12 students per class; All levels; Summer only. Largest Residential child/teen acting program in the U.S. named a top 5 camp by the Travel Channel, due to celebrity guests and iconic companies that help teach about the Hollywood film industry. The training is second-to-none as we bring in award-winning teachers to challenge the most experienced young actor.
- Young Comedians Conservatory at BANG, 457 N. Fairfax, Los Angeles, CA 90036 (323) 653-6886; Director: Lena Valentine
- THE YOUNG ACTOR’S STUDIO, 5215 Lankershim Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 91601, www.youngactorsstudio.com, PHONE: 310-281-7545 Classes: 15 students max; Adult classes also available; Auditing is not permitted; Set up interview to learn more about studio; By sessions. Offers coaching and training for young actors, ages 5-18, and uses the basics of the Stanislavsky system to help them learn to use their personal, unique qualities in their acting.
- YOUNG ACTORS SPACE, Patrick Day, director, 5918 Van Nuys Blvd., Sherman Oaks, CA 91401 Email: email@example.com, www.youngactorsspace.com Phone: 818-785-7979 Classes: 15 students max; Private coaching available; All levels; Auditing is permitted; Fall, winter, and spring sessions; summer conservatory. Est. in 1979, this school for young professionals offers weekly classes for students, ages five to adult, in scene study, improvisation, audition techniques, and sensory work.
- Young Artists Ensemble, Hillcrest Center for the Arts, 403 West Hillcrest Drive, Thousand Oaks, CA 91360, Box Office (805) 381-1246, Center for the Arts (805) 381-2747 – Former participants include TRUE GRIT Star: Hailee Steinfeld.
- YADA Youth Academy of Dramatic Arts offers comprehensive theatrical training. 8115 W. 3rd Street, 2nd Floor Los Angeles, CA 90048 323-655-9232
- NEW YORK FILM ACADEMY – Summer Camp for ages 10-18 years worldwide. Call NYC: 212-674-4300 or Los Angeles: 818-733-4074
- Long Lake Theater Camp: Located in New York State in the Adirondack Park and members of the NY American Camp Association offering Dance, Theater, Fine Arts, Circus, Music and more! E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 800-767-7111 or 914-693-7111; Fax: 914-693-7684. Academy Award Winner Adrien Brody is a former camper!
- French Woods Festival of The Performing Arts Camp PO Box 609 Hancock, NY 13783 Alumni: Jon Favreau (Cowboys&Aliens, Iron Man); Zoey Deschanel (Elf), Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man); Adam Levine (Maroon 5)
- Reflections in DANCE, Owner & Admin Director: Kristen Angarano; 3285 G Richmond Ave, Rooms I & II; Staten Island,NY 10312; (718) 317-8753
- Usdan Center for the Creative and Performing Arts: America’s premier not-for-profit summer school of the arts! Alumni: Mariah Carey, (212) 772 – 6060 ,420 East 79th Street, NY, NY 10075
The Company Acting Studio – According to the website, “The only acting school in the southeast that has consistently produced working actors in Feature Films, on Broadway, Network and Cable TV shows, National and Regional commercials and Stages across the country.” Lisina & John Stoneburner are executive directors. Phone: 404-607-1626 | Email: email@example.com Address: 500 D-1 Amsterdam Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30306
Performing Arts Center of Kapolei offers programs in Hawaii which are great for beginners
Camp Modin: While not technically an performing arts camp, Modin counts many actors, writers, directors and composers among it’s alumni. 51 Modin Way, Belgrade, Maine, 04917 (207) 465.4444, (email) Modin@Modin.com
Stage Door Manor 8 Wingate Road, Lexington, MA 02421. 2011 Application for Admission. Alumni: Natalie Portman (Black Swan); Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man, Sherlock Holmes); Jon Cryer (Two and a Half Men); Lea Michelle (Glee)
Interlochen Center for the Arts Camp Application. Office of Admission & Financial Aid, 9900 Diamond Park Rd., Interlochen, MI 49643 (231) 276-7472, Alumni: Jewel, Felicity Huffman (Desperate Housewives); Jackson Rathbone (Twilight); Norah Jones, Kim Kardashian (Keeping Up with the Kardashians).
Cathryn Sullivan’s Acting For Film, 118 Lynn Avenue, Lewisville, TX 75057, 972-353-3456, www.cathrynsullivan.com Where many talented Disney kids got there start including: Madison Pettis, Selena Gomez, and Demi Lovato.