A while back we asked Hollywood Mom Blog’s fantastic Hollywood Moms and Dads (aka Momagers and Popagers) HOW TO BECOME A CHILD ACTOR. This is a list of the basic first 10 Steps of getting one’s child into the professional world acting!
TOP 10 TIPS ON HOW TO BECOME A CHILD ACTOR:
1) Study! Study! Study! Enroll your child in Acting Classes, Improv and Scene Study. Don’t put your kid “out there” on auditions and interviews until he or she is truly ready to go out. *HMB has an ever-growing list of wonderful acting schools, coaches and camps.
2) Get Experience! Do student films, local theatre and school plays.
3) Get Head Shots! And we mean good head shots, taken by a professional photographer who specializes in babies, kids and teens. Make sure you leave with both Commercial and Theatrical looks. This is your child’s calling card and first impression with casting directors. Check out some of HMB’s favorite photographers here.
4) Get an Agent Submit to the top talent agencies for kids in your market after having researched them thoroughly. Meet with them in person before making a commitment.
5) Get a Work Permit http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/DLSEForm277.pdf
6) Open a Coogan Savings Account http://www.aftrasagfcu.org/coogan_accounts/
7) Join online casting sites like Actors Access, Casting Frontier, Casting Networks (aka L.A. Casting), Catz, etc.
9) Keep your credit card in your pocket! Don’t pay anyone for “advice” or “services.” Other than acting classes, agent-requested head shots and getting set up on the legitimate casting websites, you don’t need to fork over ANY money. Stay away from conventions, weekend seminars and packaged deals that promise to “make your kid a star!”